Psychiatry: Rotation Reflection

This was one of my favorite rotations by far. I absolutely loved the implementation and prioritization of a whole-person approach used by the clinicians I observed and assisted while on this rotation. In psychiatry, this approach feels crucial for effectively treating patients because it recognizes and addresses the complex interplay between mental health and various aspects of a person’s life (physical health, social environment, psychological state, family dynamics, socioeconomic status), leading to better treatment outcomes and a show of empathy and respect that I felt fostered a stronger therapeutic alliance and increased patient engagement in their own treatment. And although most of the patients I saw had poor insight into their condition, had poor medication compliance, and were not followed long-term by our team, these factors never made the whole-person approach seem less important. It is a part of practicing medicine that I hope to utilize regardless of my specialty. 

I also found it interesting to manage patients with poor insight who had no idea why they were in the hospital or why they could not be discharged yet. It made taking a history a unique experience that relied a lot on clinical judgment, collateral, and the expertise of everyone on the care team. This kind of puzzle-solving and teamwork was also one of my favorite parts of this rotation, and is one of my favorite things about medicine.  

I did find it somewhat frustrating that patients with chronic psychiatric disorders were often stabilized, treated, and discharged to unstable environments (albeit with long-term interventions in place) that I felt would ultimately result in them returning to the hospital at some point. However, this could be said of any of my rotations; it is unfortunately part of a healthcare system and societal framework that desperately beg for restructuring.